Sender:
From:
Tom Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 13:00:05 -0400
Greetings...

I need some assistance.  I work as a marketing consultant with records
storage, shredding and related commercial RIM services. Recently I was
retained by a client to assist a client of theirs fix their file situation.
Immediately I realized that this was a RIM/RM consultant thing and way out
of my scope or league.  Long story short, they agreed with me and hired me
to find them one.

This is a mid sized corporation who does not employ a CRM, but do have a
number of people involved in the Records Management area.  As such, things
are a mess. Its not the day to day function necessarily that is the issue,
it is all the related issues like storage bills, fear of shredding, not even
having a system which has pushed the issue up the org chart to the senior
management.

I have done my basic homework and realize that retention schedules, record
series, filing systems and basic policy and procedure matter.  I see the
need as being bigger than storage costs, but as a comprehensive requirement
for all corporate records including the digital ones as well. And it will
mean pain and change for the compnay that will result in huge benefits over
the long haul.

But, I am not trying to be a  RIM consultant nor do I want to be... I just
need to know where to start to get this client the best one for their needs
within the framework of their budget. To you its probably pretty obvious,
but I am a marketing guy, not a RM guy.

So, I am coming to you on the listserve for help. Specifically...

1. Have any of you and your companies hired a RIM consultancy firm? If you
have, I would like to interact with you offline if that is at all possible.

2. Would you share with me the core issues you had when you made the
decision to use a consultant?

3. How did you choose a consultant? What did you learn during the process?
What decision criteria did you use in making your choice?

4. Any other things I should be aware of, knowledgeable about before moving
forward with requesting proposals from different consulting firms.

Would you be willing to talk to me?  I would call you at a convenient time
for you.  You can respond directly offline to me at tom @ rimproinsider.com.
  We can then determine a time to chat.  I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance...

Cheers!
Tom Adams
RIMproInsider.com