Sender:
From:
Bil Kellermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:43:49 -0700
Some random thoughts in addendum to the great comments in this thread...

Treating "Case files" as a class is fraught with peril.  The content of
the files should be classed and retained based on the type of content
and the retention rules associated with same.  This is certainly
suggested by the firm's that retain judgments, et al., indefinitely.

In California and possibly other jurisdictions, the case file is
ultimately the property of the client.  In my old firm, we retained the
file for a specific period and then turned it over to the client,
keeping relevant copies of material that we deemed necessary to retain.

Some rights of action for minors do not accrue until they reach majority
and generally have two year statutes of limitation thereafter.  So if
the files pertain to a minor, in many cases the retention period should
be at least two years past the minor's 18th birthday.

William Kellermann, Esq.
Director, Corporate Legal Systems
Summation Legal Technologies, Inc.