Sender:
From:
Laura Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:05:11 -0700
Like some of the other respondents, the retention period for case files
at my firm depends on the type of law/subject matter and the contents of
the file at the end of the case.  We generally maintain a 4 year
retention period after the conclusion of our litigation matters and once
the files are sent to off-site storage, to cover any malpractice claims
(enough to cover the statute of limitations on attorney malpractice).
All client documents are returned to the client before off-site storage,
and all copies made for document production are destroyed.  Even at the
end of the retention period, we notify our clients that our retention
requirements have been fulfilled and request that they authorize either
the transfer of the paper docs to them or destruction of the files.
Laura A. Steinberg
Records Manager
Epsten Grinnell & Howell APC
www.epsten.com

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or
legally privileged. Unless you are the addressee, or authorized to
receive e-mail for the addressee, you may not use, copy or disclose to
anyone this message or any information contained in this message or any
attachment. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender by reply e-mail, delete the message and any attachments, and
destroy all hard copies of same. Thank you.