Sender:
From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:49:43 -0500
For those of you whose retention schedules are electronic:

1.      What application is your schedule in? (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft
Access, Word etc.)
2.      If it's a single Office file, when you update the schedule, do you
version it through the file name?
3.      How do you keep the record of the changes for each version?

On another similar note, do you have both a more generic schedule listing
all corporate record types along with retention info as well as separate
schedules with more detail which are specific to business units/departments?

The retention schedules I adopted in my new job are in Microsoft Excel and
the general corporate schedule and the Unit/Departmental schedules are
completely different spreadsheets and not tied together in anyway
electronically (though obviously the retention periods per code are the same
on either).

It just seems cumbersome to work with and the spreadsheets are formatted so
they cannot be sorted etc.  They just don't seem as friendly as such a
living document should be.  I'd love to hear the various takes you all might
have on this and about how you work with your schedules in their native
application and the advantages the format provides.

Thanks!

Tom