Sender:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:58:54 -0700
From:
Paula Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
At the University of California, San Diego we have an odd arrangement.  We
are located under Campus Planning in the Resource Management and Planning
area.

Our department collaborates daily with the Chancellor's Office, so we have
a number of functions assigned to our area, including Records and
Information Management for which we report directly to the Chancellor.

We have a collaborative process, where our program policies on campus are
proposed by my area, agreed upon by representatives of the Vice
Chancellors (Senior VPs for those in the commercial sphere) and final
approval by the Chancellor.

The Chancellor also has the Campus Counsel as a direct report.  The
closest thing to a compliance office for policy and records related issues
is Administrative Records.

The good news is the campus has at least 40 RIM professionals involved in
our program.  Of course the bad is getting everyone to agree on details.
My ability as a negotiator has been honed to a tee these last 3 years.

I used this approach when I came on board, to gain acceptance of campus
wide RIM standards.  The UC System has had some form of RM program since
1962, and the campus is 23,000 students, 16,000 faculty and staff with
multiple medical center/hospitals as well as research efforts and the
Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

1.9 billion annual budget and 475 very different initiatives and
functions.  I just can't see the devotion to RIM coming from legal or IT
but they make good partners.

Paula Johnson
UCSD