Sender:
From:
Gary Vocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:47:29 -0500
I'm think that comparing the cost of scanning to the cost of microfilming is
also very dependent on the original documents that you are processing and
the quality of the image that you are willing to accept.  If your documents
are all the same size and color you can set up either a camera or a scanner
once and virtually walk away and let it do it's thing.  You'll get final
images of a consistent acceptable quality and the production time is mostly
dependent on the throughput speed of the camera or scanner.  However, if
your source documents are all over the map as to sizes, colors, etc it
really can change the equation.  From what I have seen, microfilm cameras
can be set to capture a reasonably legible image of most of the documents in
a project.  On the other hand, the scanners that I've seen are much more
sensitive to changes in paper colors, shades, contrast, etc. and require
much more operator intervention to adjust for image readability.

Gary Vocks