Sender:
From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:31:39 -0600
Withholding Certificates of Destruction until the vendor is paid is NOT
normal in the destruction industry to the best of my knowledge. We send our
Certificates of Destruction with the invoice. Whether the invoice is paid or
not does not change the fact that the destruction took place!

The only reason I can think of for a company to hold their customer's
certificates hostage is due to a problem with collections of A/R invoices. I
respectfully suggest that if a company is not doing proper credit checks on
their A/R clientel then it is THEIR problem, not yours. So unless your
company has a history of not paying by the due date, in which case this
would be a specific response to a specific problem, I think you could just
ask for the Certificates to be included with the invoicing in order to meet
your documentation requirements. You can make your own A/P policy that you
won't pay an invoice until you have proof of service ie a Certificate of
Destruction!

We have very few clients that require witnessed destruction. However if a
client feels that they need to witness their record's destruction then we
ask that they make an appointment but do not have a surcharge for this
service.

Good luck!

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President