Sender:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:38:32 -0500
From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
OK, so tell me how you really feel...

Those of us who work in Higher Ed are doing it because we love it, not
because we can't find anything that pays better.  We tend to have a lot
of freedom to do what needs to be done, a wide variety of tasks and
opportunities to enhance our education, more record types than most of
you will ever see in one place, and above all, it is NEVER boring.

As for benefits - well, I've been offered several jobs in the private
sector, and none had better benefits. By the time I gave up benefits,
the salaries were equal or less.

The Denver job seems to be a minimum salary - which if it isn't put into
a job description, you would have fussed the other way.  I personally
don't know anything about it, but I wouldn't discount it if you are
looking around until you have more information.  Starting a records
program in Higher Ed is quite a job, but it's also a chance to do and
have a hand in so many different things.  You meet lots of different
people, and have the opportunity to work with many types of
personalities.  It certainly has helped me work better with all the ARMA
and listserv personalities I have encountered.

It's a different place from the corporate world.  Much different.  And
it's a completely different mindset.  But it's fun.  At least I think
so.

Fondly,
Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
502 Morrill Hall
100 Church St. SE
Minneapolis, MN  55455