Sender:
From:
"Schildmeyer, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:06:24 -0500
This has been an interesting discussion, and I think all the answers are
reasonable.  I agree that anywhere from 90 to probably 3500 sheets of
paper will fit in a 10x12x15 records storage box, depending on the
circumstances of the files.  But the question nobody has asked is, WHO
CARES?  Why would any records manager care about *pieces of paper* as a
unit of measurement?

In my experience in RIM, I've never worked with *pieces of paper* as a
focus of my attention.  I have worked with file folders, file cabinet
drawers, linear feet (and inches), records series, records center boxes,
accessions, and image counts as valid units of measurement and objects
of attention.  But to me, the only possible reason I can think of to
care how many *pieces of paper* are in a box is if I'm tossing that
heavy sucker up a ladder to someone to store on the 14th shelf!  And
that's a fleeting consideration at best.

What industry is it where RIM professionals manage at the *piece of
paper* level?

Greg Schildmeyer, CRM
Director of Records Management
State of Missouri