Sender:
From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:17:07 -0700
[log in to unmask] said:
>I am currently working on a retention schedule for our firm. My management
>has requested I try to obtain one from another firm in North Carolina. If
>any one knows of someone or is willing to share their schedule, please let
>me know. I have been told I need it before the end of the day. Your
>assistance will be greatly appreciated.

All I can say is "good luck."

First, unlike the public sector, retention schedules for businesses are
considered internal or confidential.  Most companies will not share this
information with others and, now working in the private sector, I can
understand why.

Second, retention schedules should be tailored to each business based on the
business needs of the organization.  Although I have no knowledge of law
firm recordkeeping, I am sure there are a number of records common to all
law firms.  At the same each firm may view these records in a different
manner and thus retain them for different periods from their counterparts.

Developing a retention schedule isn't easy, one reason why some companies
don't have one.  The process can take months, if not years, depending upon
the size of the company as well as the time and effort they are willing to
spend.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Manager, Records Management
Sempra Global
619-696-4671
619-696-2534 (Fax)
619-952-7145 (Cell)

"Paper kills-and more
paper kills more."
                Judah Best, JD

"Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility SDG&E or SoCal Gas,
and Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities
Commission."