Sender:
From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:27:18 -0400
          - - - - - quote - - - - -
          > Susan M Flannery  sflannery at CambridgeMA.GOV
          > All union newsletters are not part of the library
          > collection and are not public records.
          - - - - - quoted - - - - -

Notes regarding a reference desk type enquiry at our public
library.

. CPL leadership as a function of the offical municipal
  department received the materials.

. At the very least this enquiry needs more assurance that it's
  respected as a reference desk type enquiry and thus given the
  best reference desk type response such as suggesting related
  information, related materials that are perhaps more readily
  available.

Please review the information in response to an enquiry for union
and related newsletters with respect to the following principles
of
a. intellectual freedom and

b. the Library Bill of Rights.

I have and will have a continuing interest in reading the
informational materials or any and all related
informational materials.

1. Suggestion
   Develop a more robust responsive manner
   with respect to these kind of enquiries.

2. Suggestion
   Develop better municipal labor relations library collections.

Also interested staff or interested labor relations advocates
might have similar enquiries for information.

Holding back, suppressed library use is the concern here and that
information is a special domain of our public library of course.

Interested staff or interested labor relations advocates might
not ask initially out of concern for the resistant manner in
which the enquiry would be handled rather than in the full robust
spirit of encouraging use of the library, in the full robust
spirit of intellectual enquiry.

. Received by our public libraries' department leadership, our
  public libraries' department officials, the newsletters and
  other such materials are part of records managed by the city
  department of public libraries, are part of institutional
  archives.

. Additionally, besides being a municipal department it's a
  public library!

. That the materials were perhaps not created by the library is
  not relevant to performing the functions of a reference desk
  department, performing the functions of our public library.

. And besides being a public library the institution preserves
  Cambridge historical materials, Cambridge archives, Cambridge
  records for civic use of citizens.

I remain, as ever, advocating for institutional change and for
improving the organizational culture of our North American
cities' public libraries!

Copy
Intellectual freedom advocates
Library Bill of Rights advoates

Susan M. Flannery CPL Director sflannery at CambridgeMA.GOV
Mark Freed  CPL Reference Department mfreed at CambridgeMA.GOV

Bertha Chandler  bchandler at cambridgema.gov
Madeline Amorosi  mamorosi at CambridgeMA.GOV
Don Warner Saklad  dsaklad at zurich.csail.mit.edu