Sender:
From:
Andrew Warland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:55:14 +1000
I've seen a number of instances now in both private and public sector
organisations where an organisation has introduced a system certified to
ISO - 9001:2000  to manage specific types of records.  Section 4.2
(Documentation requirements) of that standard contains minimum
requirements, including 4.2.3 Control of Documents.

Generally the systems I've seen have been introduced in response to very
specific legislative or business requirements - for example, to ensure
that a food manufacturing process is very well documented in case of a
problem once the product is sold.

It seems in these cases that the extent and mandate of recordkeeping
requirements (both internal and external) has some impact on the extent to
which organisations need to introduce quality assured systems to manage
documents or records - the more specific the requirement (e.g., through
legislation), the more the need to have a quality assured system.  ISO
15489 appears to be used more as a guide to best practice, from which
policies and procedures guiding specific actions can be derived.

Andrew

Andrew Warland
Senior Consultant, Records and Information Management
Outsource Australia Pty Ltd (www.outsourceaust.com.au)
Canberra, Australia

Rick Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
15/07/2005 05:53 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: ISO 15489 certification process

My latest information from Australia is shown in the below em from Stephen
MacIntosh.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Barry