Sender:
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:34:26 +1000
From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
An interesting article, and it raises a question about security and
privacy issues of encapsulation as a way of preserving records together
with the software needed to make the data available. If you've got
encapsulated records on the truck going to offsite storage, you've
increased the probability that an evil miscreant could actually make use
of lost or stolen records. Without encapsulation, you'd need a lot of
technical nous and access to some expensive IT gear to unravel the
mysteries of terabytes of Oracle tables.

I know encapsulation has so far only been suggested for archival storage
rather than routine offsite storage, but we have records sentenced to be
transferred to State Archives (='permanent') which do fall into assorted
privacy, health and similar categories.

The solution of course is to separate the software and data components of
each encapsulated package, and always transport and store them separately.
All you need to do then is remember where you put that piece of paper
showing which software package goes with what data package.

Glenn

Glenn Sanders MRMA
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.

>Precious Cargo: Offsite Records Storage
>
>Sending critical backup data to a storage facility isn't
>simple anymore. Here are four points to consider when you're
>securing the chain of custody for your data.

>http://www2.csoonline.com/go/index.html?ID=5685&PMID=27758366&s=2&f=1

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.