Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:30:21 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

> No need to feel guilty for inquiring about your records. Especially
> after this amount of time, and especially considering there was plenty
> of warning about what was to come. They call it business continuity
> planning. Companies that plan for this typically plan for proactively
> contacting their clients as soon as possible after an incident to update
> their customers on their status, and to give them information on how to
> contact them. That's how it's supposed to work anyway...

I couldn't agree more with what Gary has posted here.

While the loss of life, property and all is a TERRIBLE thing, and no one
here would ever think any other way.

However, if you aren't directly impacted by it and your DATA and INFORMATION
are, there's no need to feel guilty about being concerned... unless you were
the one who was responsible for the decision to place your (or your
organization's) information in harm's way and did nothing about it.

This is what both business continuity planning and vital records protection
are all about, and if you dodged the bullet this time and haven't done
anything about planning yet, these are a good place to start learning about
it.

http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail2.cfm?ProductID=1272
http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail2.cfm?ProductID=1184

As always, I encourage anyone who has a "Lessons Learned" message to post
about their personal recovery story to do so when it's practical... we all
can benefit from these.

Also, the ARMA Guideline for selecting an offsite storage providers that was
out in Beta form earlier this year should be completed by year's end and it
includes many questions to ask related to the issues raised in the original
post in this thread. All of this should be done in a proactive manner, and
first and foremost is consideration of the risks associated with the
location of the facility you select.

Larry
--
Larry Medina