Sender:
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:27:19 -0500
From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM" <[log in to unmask]>
Here in Pensacola, the plywood is off the house.  Little or no damage
despite seven hours of howling wind, gusts 80-100 mph.   Took me two days to
talk my 23-year-old
Daughter (and 2 year old grandson) to leave Gulfport for Pensacola, and it
took inter-
vention of friends, too -- still she did come to Pensacola Sunday.   After
loss of power
for two days, we got it back last night in time to see the horrific pictures
from N.O. and
Gulfport area.   We were all convinced that she'd lost everything; I was
horrified to see places that I shopped at, visited, in ruins including the
aquariaum/sea lions/dolphin place that we visited ten days ago.    Today
daughter convinced her
Godfather to drive her to Gulfport, took four hours, but they report house
and possessions intact, even the lawn chairs on the front porch had not
blown away!
She is one block south of Pass Avenue and six blocks north of the railroad
tracks
(south of that is complete desolation), so she's ecstatic.   Can't stay
there, of course,
but happy since hubby is in Japan with the SeeBees.

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections/West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750