Sender:
From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:43:33 -0500
>>Do you have a recommendation for a font that works best for OCRing<<

Jakie,

I would stay with the Times New Roman.  Generally, the systems we use
recommend using serif'd fonts when OCR/ICR will be applied.  Our testing
appears to confirm the recommendations.

I would note that your particular software may function better with specific
fonts.  I would contact the vendor and ask for their suggestions.  Software
also commonly includes options to specify the type of font, whether it is a
small font, whether the font being OCR'd is fixed or proportional, and a
variety of other optional settings.  Use of the various options can
significantly increase recognition success.

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator
State of North Dakota
ITD/Records Management