Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:29:10 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
> It's just a couple of small boxes, the bill is prepaid, and it's been no
> problem. Seems to work for them. Might be something ARMA members could think
> about doing for one another.

Barbara-

This is a GREAT suggestion, and one we use as a family and with a number of
friends presently for "personal vital records".

The only caution I might suggest is to have some formal agreement regarding
liability in place, as to the content of the tapes/media in the event of
data loss. While it may be unlikely, the tapes could be damaged in transit,
or even while stored at your organization and the last thing you'd want is
someone claiming that your organization was liable for their data loss
because you were performing a "good neighbor" function for them.

Also, I'd suggest some very obvious labeling on the media clearly
identifying the owning organization and a minimum of two contact names and
phone numbers for the owners, in the event someone else comes upon them,
possibly after you leave your organization. Seeing as this is an informal
agreement, others may not be aware of the procedures/practice. And you may
want to consider something that ensures the individual contacting you to
gain access to the tapes is AUTHORIZED by the owning organization to take
custody of them, as there is possibly sensitive data included on them.

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA