Sender:
From:
"Capito, Bonnie P CIV NAVFAC Lant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:22:40 -0400
Did anyone receive this email earlier this week? I hear everyone talking around this issue so I'm sending it again. Obviously, the last couple of paragraphs were written before the discussion on how we should help began.

RIM Disaster Management should fall under what's called the Incident Command System.  The U S Fire Service created Incident Command in order to coordinate the diverse fire fighting units which are usually called in when a major fire breaks out in the West.  Other agencies have successfully adopted and adapted the Incident Command System to their needs. It can be adapted for use at a minor oil spill or a major natural or man-made disaster.

I think that FEMA used the Incident Command System until they were moved to Homeland Security.  I don't think that Homeland Security uses Incident Command. Given the response to Hurricane Katrina, I have to believe they don't even know it exists. After a few days, FEMA must have insisted that the Incident Command System be used because help finally began arriving.

The Department of the Navy has an Urgent Response Team and the Navy Region Mid-Atlantic has a Spill Response Team for oil spills. We patterned our structures on the U S Coast Guard which uses the Incident Command System more effectively than anyone else. I am the Documentation Unit Leader for both the Urgent Response and Spill Response Command Systems. I learned my job from the "Master" Documentation Unit Leader who works for the U S Coast Guard. I was lucky enough to work for him at the Republican National Convention, U S Coast Guard Security. I got to see a professional, highly trained group of individuals come together and work as one entity. Think about how many security forces had to coordinate their activities at the New York Convention and you begin to get an idea of the scope of the work. It was awesome to behold.

Within in the Incident Command System Structure there is room for an organization like ALA, SLA, ARMA or NARA to join the Command System and be part of the disaster response and cleanup.  The American Medical Vetenarians Association is part of FEMA disaster response, why not us?

Our professional organizations should take note and start finding out how we can help by joining the Incident Command System or whatever FEMA calls it. Don't think Homeland Security has gotten the message.

Bonnie Capito
Librarian and Certified Records Manager
NAVFAC Atlantic Environmental
6506 Hampton Blvd.