Sender:
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:27:45 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 9/21/05, Tracey Black <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good day fellow RIMsters,
>
> I know most of you are enjoying the festivities of the ARMA Expo in
> Chicago this week, but I need your assistance. I have search the LIST
> Archives and the internet without much success. I am looking for a standard
> or guide in assigning Risk Ranking Criteria to an organization's Contracts.
> I know the question is somewhat broad, but I myself am not too sure what my
> management is asking for exactly. I not all that sure why they would be
> asking a Records Administrator, but I knew if anyone knew the answer or
> where to look for it, it would be someone on this LIST. So any and all
> assistance would be greatly appreciated. On or off line, which ever you
> prefer.

While the guidance provided here is rather general in nature, it discusses
"risk" in terms that apply to any business process.

http://sparc.airtime.co.uk/users/wysywig/risk_1.htm

It may be quite difficult to assess the specific risks related to
contracts/contracting and even MORE difficult to rank them against each
other, seeing as contracts can be let for any number of
functions/services/products.

As an example, you may have a contract for service of photocopy machines and
your risks could include failure to provide service within a 12 hour
window... depending on how critical making those copies really is and what
options you have for a work around, the risk could be pretty low. On the
other hand, you may have a contract for providing physical security to a
critical operational facility and they go on strike and fail to provide
protection... you may not have ANY workarounds for this and this risk would
be VERY high. But if you have no other copiers available to you and you're
trying to respond to a bid that could result in millions of dollars of new
work within and the deadline is approaching, well, that risk could be high
as well.

I think you may need some clarification form management as to what they're
really looking for... if it's an operational risk, a financial risk, a
failure to deliver risk and enlist the assistance of someone in the
departments most likely to be impacted by the risks to determine the
ranking.

Larry

--
Larry Medina