Sender:
From:
Deidre Paknad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:16:54 -0400
Tracey,

"2)If the record, as determined by the owner, is related to any known or
ongoing investigation or litigation involving the organization."

I think you should re-consider whether the record owner is the one who
should determine if it is affected by anticipated or active litigation.
At a conference we co-sponsored 2 weeks ago, district court judges from
New York, Massachusetts, and Northern California were very, very clear
that they 1) expected companies to meet the Zubulake checklist and 2)
that they expected a seasoned litigator to make these kinds of
decisions.  If the in-house legal team doesn't have an experienced
litigator on board, then outside counsel should drive the decision.
This is in keeping with Zubulake V, where Judge Scheindlin makes outside
counsel as well as in-house counsel responsible for compliance with
preservation obligations.

For a quick look at the Zubulake checklist:
http://www.pss-systems.com/resources/zubulake_checklist.html

For a recent interview with Judge Scheindlin and presentations on this
topic from litigation experts at Skadden Arps, Weil Gotshal, and other
top law firms: http://www.pss-systems.com/resources

Hope this helps.

Deidre

Deidre Paknad
PSS Systems, Inc.
www.pss-systems.com
Atlas IPM:  Enterprise Retention and Preservation Solution
650) 961-1717