Sender:
From:
Bob Nawrocki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:04:54 +0000
I think you have to be careful about assuming that the IA stores your entire
website. It will go down a certain number of levels but, if memory serves
me, it does not store each and every level down. Companies can restrict or
deny the spidering of their websites by inserting some code into their
website that grants or denies permission to the spider.

The IA spiders the websites at different times throughout the year so if
there is frequent changes to your site there they may not be captured. Your
site may have gone through several iterations between captures.

One area that IA is moving toward is a for charge guaranteed capture of your
website at predetermined periods. I know several state government archives
are looking at using this service to capture "snapshots" of all the state's
websites at specific times.

If you are looking to see what your organization's website looked like over
time the IA is a useful tool. It you need to capture each and every
iteration for legal purposes you may have to subscribe to their services.

Robert F. Nawrocki CRM
Innovate and Infuriate
My opinions are my own and not my employers.