Sender:
From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:08:05 -0500
<ratios> You can use them but don't make that your only argument - ratios can be a nod to "what is everyone else doing?" (a favorite law firm approach to decision-making) but because firm structure, expectations, technology, etc. varies dramatically across firms, they are hard to use for apples to apples comparisons.

<technology can enhance or challenge the value of human bodies doing the work> Agreed, however my point here is, unless you have recently instituted some technology (or plan to very soon) that has or WILL (for sure, gonna happen, not just promised) provide increased productivity to the point of making one of your FTEs excess head-count, then this is an argument you should challenge if management tries to hand it to you.

<risk avoidance> Absolutely a great argument - just be sure you make this argument to someone who understands its impact.  I use this approach with our Managing Partner and our Ethics/Loss Prevention Partner.

<projects> The projects you allude to may very well be enough to stave off the bleeding (at least for now), however you've got to sell their merit in terms of being of higher priority to the firm than realizing a reduction in salaries.  Try to find out what is really driving their desire for reducing head-count, and your head-count in particular.  Often the benefits of our projects are difficult to measure in hard dollars - however if you can quantify a significant soft-dollar impact (read: atty productivity and/or risk avoidance), you'll be well on your way to recruiting a replacement staff member.

Shifting the burden/Passing the buck - This is one that I have used.  Will the reduction in records staffing shift burden to other firm staff such as secretaries (directly or indirectly/intentionally or unintentionally)?  It may very well have that effect unless, as Larry mentions, there is a subsequent reduction in workload.  Also, you won't be positioned to support firm growth (assuming the firm intends to continue being successful and is growth oriented).

I would also offer ... Are you sure it's such a bad thing?  Sometimes it can be the well-spring of unexpected benefits (you get credit for figuring out how to do more with less, your remaining staff learns to test their limits and potentially grow stronger from the adversity, etc.).

Knowing virtually nothing about you or your firm, etc. this may be a silly question for me to pose to you.  However, I have reaped these kinds of benefits in the past, on a personal professional level.  For example, at a previous employer, when there were "difficult" employees, they often ended up on my staff to find the diamond in the rough or, if there was no diamond to be found, to terminate the relationship.  I earned the reputation of being scrappy and resourceful, not afraid to address the problem head-on.  Subsequently, I was asked to participate in other initiatives as a result of my scrappiness (is that a word?).  This is not a role that will suit everyone - but it suits me pretty well.

However you approach this, I wish you nothing but the best!

Julie

Julie Colgan
Manager of Records Services
Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
Tel: 404.873.8164
Fax: 404.439.1811
[log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask] >

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.