Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:55:56 -0500
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
I'm not a records manager so I don't keep up with all the terminology.  But, for what it is worth, I would look at this as a multiple step process:

--help people think first about who generally owns the records (their employer);
--then explain what governs disposition of those records (the schedule);
--and then talk about which record-generating units have what responsibilities.

Rather than telling people they are creating "official records," try telling them that the work-related  records they create and receive each day are corporate records (or for others among you, government records, or university records, depending on the type of institution involved).  Get them first to focus on the fact that the records belong to the employing organization.  (For Feds, NARA provides a a good definition at http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/publications/documenting-your-public-service.html#federal).

Then you can explain to people that because these are not their personal records, disposal is not discretionary.  That doesn't mean the records all have equal value.  Nor must everything be kept forever * yes, even I, an historian, buy into that! ;-)  But that people do have to follow the guidance in the records schedule.  Also explain what is an "office of record" (or an "office of primary responsibility").   I also don't think people outside the RIM field always stop and think about the difference between a record copy and a convenience copy.   So it wouldn't surprise me if you had to get into some of that as well.

Good luck!

Maarja