Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:09:44 +1100
From:
John Dowling <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hmmm - an interesting 'thread' and an observation from  'down-under'
(Another way of saying Australia for those not across the cultural use
of the term).

I would argue that some record can be 'official' in many contexts (as
has already been demonstrated by the examples and discussions earlier).
Not necessarily knowing how overseas record-keepers operate (and being
told informally that the North American concept of record-keeping has
- at least until recently - been a little different to that of those
who originate from the British perspective) I will offer the
perspective from my experience (for what that is worth).

A 'record' might exist in many context particularly if the information
in a particular document cover a number of context - say a list of
people that are going to be given bonus payments this year because they
have achieved some desired outcome. That document might appear in three
different context - the individuals personal file; a financial file
authorising the payment of a bonus; a file identifying rewards and
payments. Each of these file will quite possibly have three different
review/sentencing/disposal actions - for instance a personal file in
the Australian context might have the sentence date of 75 years from
date of birth while the finance file has a sentence and disposal date
of 7 years (and the rewards file might have a life of 2 years).
The document exits in three contexts but is not sentenced in isolation
from the context it finds itself in - for the personal context is is
thought to be relevant for the life of the personal file (75 years)
versus its life in the financial context of 7 years.

Essentially I am saying do not start from the basis that a document
(record) exists outside of the context that it is concerned with and
that one official record exists...although that could be the case of
course. Be aware that in some cases any single document can record
actions across a number of context.

Of course in answer to the other question I see running through the
thread - what about copies of the document that lie outside the
record-keeping system. Well without trying to sound too much like a
'bush' lawyer [that's an Australian vernacular for an layman purporting
  to have a lawyer knowledge not a lawyer for your President] the answer
is material outside the record-keeping system that is a copy of  a
record could be NAPed easily enough (Normal Administrative Process)
without penalty...the only problem of course is getting people to get
rid of such copy material and getting them to rely on the record in the
record-keeping system rather than relying on using their personal copy.
 From a business risk perspective getting rid of multiple copies of
material would be to its benefit but of course the old culture of the
individual and preferential working style kicks in here and the
recordkeeper gets that flat shiny aspect to their forehead (the result
of banging your head on the desk in frustration).

Anyhow stopping here will prevent the document becoming a thesis...

John D
Records Manager
Australian Government