Sender:
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:22:16 -0700
7BIT
From:
Rich Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Greets for Wonderful Wyoming Graham,

You are correct e-mail is a creation and delivery medium. It is the
content of the e-mail and its attachments which should drive how long a
particular e-mail is kept. We are dealing with this issue every day. The
difference between e-mail and an envelope is the e-mail may be the
business record or may be just the letter of transmittal. E-mail
metadata contains information which was previously not available which
is used most often in litigation. It becomes a very sticky question. The
issue is email should never be looked at outside of the content,
context, structure, and presentation. We as records managers need to
keep refreshing our users on what constitutes a record and their
responsibilities to the organization.

If you would like to know more about how we are doing things here,
please call me.

Regards,

Rich Wilson, MCP
Records Management Supervisor
Government Records
2301 Central Ave
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0001
Phone: 307-777-5586  Fax: 307-777-7044

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public
business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records Act and may be
disclosed to third parties.

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/28/06 12:07 PM >>>
I have noticed several people talking about categorizing email.  One
person mentioned categorizing according to the retention schedule.

What categories would show up in the retention schedule concerning
email?  I have always though (correct me if I am wrong) that retention
schedules were for record types.  Email is not a record type, but a way
of getting information from one place to another (much like an
envelope... and we all know that we don't have envelopes as a record
type in the retention schedule).

It is the content of the email that would require categorization.  An
email about an accounts payable situation would be categorized by the
record type of accounts payable.  Yes/No?

Graham Kitchen
Corporate Records Manager
Unified Western Grocers
5200 Sheila Street
Commerce, CA 90040
Office Phone: (323) 264-5200 ext. 4560
Cell Phone:  (323) 243-1865

This message and any attached documents contain information that may be

confidential and/or privileged. The information herein may also be
protected by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC Sections 2510-2521. If
you are not
the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute, or use this
information. If you
have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
immediately by reply
e-mail and delete all copies of this message to include any
attachments.