Sender:
From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:41:01 -0600
Dwight Wallace wrote:

Enormous patience is required - reminding myself of why I do this, and
where we fit into the larger picture, helps ensure those steps have
coherence (which is why I occasionally lapse into spasms of idealism!).

-I think that really says it! It seems to me we have a lot "pretenders"
in Records Management right now since it is so hot and is "the next best
thing". The author of the article that started this discussion seems to
believe that a simple and basic retention structure is the wave of the
future. I am not the most experienced records guy out there by far but
it has been my experience that implimenting a retention structure is
anything but simple or basic.

Getting back to the patience thing- I think a lot of the know it all,
water it down "pretenders" will eventually lose patience and move on to
the next best thing. It will be simply because they won't have the
patience to deal with the day to day grit of records management.

Rob Seibolt
Records Management Aquila