Sender:
From:
Gary Vocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:09:38 -0600
I'm not sure that I understand what's behind this question.  We scan
"records" which may be original paper documents but are just as likely to be
copies.  In many cases we (the organization) have never had anything but a
copy of a document in our possession but that doesn't mean what we have
isn't a "record" for us.  Also, in some cases we scan both the original and
a copy of the same document, though usually not at the same time.  An
example might be a memo sent from our legal office to another department
giving an opinion on a proposed policy or transaction.  The department which
receives the memo might send the original to us for scanning as a part of
the "record" of that particular transaction.  Also, the legal department
might send us their copy of the memo to scan as part of their "outgoing
correspondence" record series.

BTW, I'm not looking for this to turn into a discussion of the need to scan
a particular record series or if implementation of a document management
scheme might eliminate the need to scan one or both of the documents in my
example.  In this day and age my example might be moot in many organizations
because the correspondence would have been done by e-mail.  Of course that
opens up another whole can of worms.

Gary Vocks
Records Management Officer
Southern Illinois University