Sender:
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:25:50 -0500
I am resubmitting a post which I originally tried to post by hitting
reply.  For some reason, for the second time today, a post submitted
through reply did not come through to the whole List.  (I tried to
reply to Steve earlier on the Wallace article, then just recrafted it
as a new message with a new topic.)  Whereas standalone posts are
coming through from me.  Something must be blocking me from getting
through the filters.

OK, on the email question:

Interesting responses! Keep in mind that I'm an historian and formerly
worked as an archivist, so my "expertise," such as it is, lies on the
side of what's permanently valuable. I haven't been called on to give
much thought to what is ephemeral, although some of my work touches on
records management. So that part is not my strong suit.

When I referred to cancellation of a staff meeting, I was thinking of a
simple message without attachments which would be sent around to
something such as the Nixon Project tapes staff where I once worked.
You know, the type of thing my boss would have handled back in the
1980s by posting a handwritten note on the door saying, "today's minion
meeting is cancelled."

Obviously, the records of some officials' daily activities are
preserved much more carefully than others. Think
http://www.si.umich.edu/FordLibrary/daily.diary.html
or
http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.org/documents/diary/

No need to keep those types of records for an official at my level,
LOL.

But your responses do point to the fact that sometimes people may want
to keep convenience copies of records beyond the scope of a retention
schedule. Just to jog their memories, aid them in working on future
prjects, or "prove" that they did what they said they did. Some of you
previously have pointed out wisely that the best way to deal with
recordkeeping issues is to think through the underlying behavioral
issues.

Maarja