Sender:
From:
Gary Vocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:47:29 -0600
Speaking from the perspective of someone who has replaced a microfilm
operation with a hybrid (scan and film at the same time) operation I can
tell you that filming and scanning are not the same.  Everything is
different, from the rationale behind deciding why to migrate a particular
record series from paper to the amount of resources involved in the actual
operation.

I'm all for centralization because it gives RM more control over what is
scanned/filmed and it also has the probability of reduced cost to the
institution because of "economy of scale".  However, unless you can convince
your administration to provide you with enough resources or you can operate
on an effective charge-back system you'll probably soon find yourself
overwhelmed by the amount of paper that departments want you to scan.

IMHO, long-term preservation of institution records on microfilm is a fairly
easy sell to your administration.  Adding funding for sufficient scanning
equipment and staff will probably be more problematic especially if
university funding gets tighter.

Gary Vocks