Sender:
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:04:48 -0800
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Blake,

I would say that microfilming would be where the knowledge base is. The
auditors haven't come to the conclusion yet that RM owns the entire process
in microfilming so the the conflict that arises in electronic records is
possibly valid there as well. The split between the RM operation and IT is
based on Cobit. The controls that are required put the system administrator
outside hte direct control of the owner. What some folks have called god
keys have creted some issues in the audit trail. Heap on top of that a dire
lack of enforceable ethics within the IT and RM professions and you can see
why they get a little nervous.

From an RM perspective my objections are a little different from the
auditors. The ROI is only achievable in scanning if you can "catch" the
record at or near the point of creation. If you accept that only about
fifteen percent of all records filed will ever be accessed again you will
quickly see that there is little to be gained by scanning yor urecords
center. However, if you can capture the record at the beginning of the
process there are all sorts of benefits to be gained. As Records Managers we
want the other business process owners to retain responsiblity for the
processes they control. Scanning is another aspect of that control. We want
them to do it right, but we want THEM to do it.

Chris Flynn

-