Sender:
From:
"Cheryl L. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:41:45 -0400
Our organization has lost our outdated AS400 system in a power outage last week. On the AS400, we had JDEdwards, Cyborg, and a proprietary grants management systems. In 2000, we moved to SAP to replace JDEdwards, moved most of our Cyborg information into an Access database, and were in the process of copying a small portion of remaining historical images from our grantmaking system (most were migrated to the new document management system in 11/2004 but the remaining are a part of an archive series). In this decommissioning effort, we (IT) are attempting to determine what information on the AS400 was needed to archive in order to preserve historical reporting capability. We, Records & Archives, have had little involvement in information system design and implementation, but we just got posed the question, "Do we need to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get this back or has 'retention' on this information been met? Give me a quick answer." I responded that most of the transactional data was close to meeting retention, and my sense is that the retention for long-term archives for summary information is met in the paper report records anyway. But, I'm not sure that retention of the paper has been consistent since HR and Finance depended on having the "archived" data accessible to them. The remaining archival images in our grantmaking system are probably lost to us, but the potential for retrieval was quite small. (We tried to get them to let us film them since ¾ of the collection was in film already but no luck.) Any advice on what I need to bring to the table from a records perspective as we consider this situation?

Cheryl
Records & Archives Analyst