Sender:
From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:52:25 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]> on
Fri, 2 Jun 2006, "Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote
>Beware of the difference between library-based and records management
>taxonomies because the focus for each is entirely different and the
>methods are different.

The underlying principles are not really different, just the way in
which they are applied. If I may use the terminology of faceted
classification, records management classification schemes usually
combine facets using a citation order of "function - activity - {task |
topic | transaction}", whereas schemes which emphasise the subject
approach, as normally used in libraries and information services,
usually cite the "discipline" facet first. The order of other facets
then varies according to the subject.

The main thing to be careful about is the distinction between
hierarchical relationships within a facet, as expressed in a thesaurus
by the broader/narrower term relationship, and the combination of terms
from
different facets into subject indexing strings, as is done in a faceted
classification scheme.

I prefer not to use the expression "taxonomy" because it is often used
for schemes which blur or ignore this distinction.

I have discussed this a little more fully in a note at
<http://www.willpowerinfo.co.uk/functhes.htm>

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092