Sender:
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 07:08:44 EDT
I'm with John on printing out long documents.  Especially if the topic is
arcane and there are a lot of complex issues covered.  Or if I'm proofreading
something or doing a fatal flaw review of something someone else wrote.
Generally,I suspect that in many offices, a lot of officials  still annotate and mark
up hard copies rather than generating electronic comments only.

As to newspapers, since I ride the subway (METRO) to work to my job in
Washington, DC, I prefer to read a paper version of the newspaper during my commute.
 Yes, I have a Treo 700W which works on the only wireless network available
underground (Verizon) in DC's subway system.  But no, I don't enjoy reading
newspapers on so small a screen!  Although I will occasionally check out a
breaking news story on CNN, etc.while on the subway.  Even at home, I enjoy
spreading out the newspaper on the kitchen table with my morning cup of coffee on a
Saturday or Sunday morning.  Ah, relaxation!

As to the email preservation issue I mentioned yesterday, maybe that is
something I encountered a little earlier than the rest of you.  My sister was very
tech savvy and took to email early on,  So, I have a lot of email messages
from her which remain precious to me after her death in 2002.  And which I want
access to in the future, regardless of whether they were sent and received with
AOL or Groupwise.  As with the longterm preservation (backup, migration,
etc.) of personal digital photos, scholarly research notes, and other digital data
at home, it is the sort of issue that not everyone has thought through in
terms of future access.  But more and more people will be, I'm sure!.

Maarja