Sender:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:10:45 -0400
From:
"Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and ignored.
This is a really fun conversation!

I believe Steve Petersen asked the right question, "but what am I missing?"

Each type of organization (industry/government) and organization (my company/the company across the street) have different tolerances for risk and different requirements for their documents. Very few focus on reliable, trustworthy, authentic records because, first, this means something different to each, and second, just finding the blasted things to do work or respond to subpoenaes has been in the press, not the alterability of formats. There are certain industries, like financial services, that have had to address alterability with a vengeance. There are others, like law firms, that have not.

I suspect if we did some research into this by interviewing legal counsel or some other "C" level executives in a number of different organizations and types of organizations, we would probably come up with an aggregate idea of what is out there right now. However, this would not change the need for each organization to determine for itself what it wants and needs to do.

I believe this conversation must continue, though, and should not be overly influenced by the doom-sayers and those who believe "reliable, trustworthy, and authentic" means only one thing. We do need to listen to them, but only as one voice among the many we balance.

Best wishes,
Carol

Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM
CEO