Sender:
From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:16:54 -0400
If I may, no offence taken, as I always look at the intent and also the individual who bespoke the words.  In this case, he appears to be an honourable gentleman.  Unfortunately, in today's society we exist in a highly over sensitive environment. Sometimes I am beside myself trying to figure out how to say certain things without being offensive. We can't wish someone Merry Christmas any more, so we say Seasons Greetings.  We can't use the word "abreast" as this, well, it offends people.  Frankly, I give people more credit as individuals.  The policy makers sometimes create these things when addressing the concerns of a small pocket of individuals, not the majority.  Of course I agree that we must always be cognisant of how we speak as words can hurt, but let us not lose our sense of humour, our eclectic mannerisms and freedom to speak. I love colourful euphemisms and speakers who speak in a unique fashion.  I guess in the end it is all about respect, to treat and speak to others as you would have them treat and speak to you.  It is my countries birthday this weekend and thank God (can I say that?) that I live in a free and democratic country, with the most wonderful neighbour in the world, the United States.  Have a gooder!

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Guidelines Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Statistics and Information Management Directorate
Corporate Strategies and Business Development Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
320 Queen St., Place de Ville, Tower A, 6th Fl.,
Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1A 0L5
Tel: 1-613-946-0245
Facsimile: 1-613-941-9649
E-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]