Sender:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:56:54 -0400
From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
As a Federal government employee, I will not comment on the issue of
political correctness.  The issue itself may be vulnerable to
politicization, and I certainly don't want anyone to try to guess how I
vote, blah blah blah.  I'd rather not go there.  If others do, that's
okay, this is just me and the way I handle the issue when it comes up
in public forums.

But I can say that I agree with John that you have to look beyond the
words someone uses.  Someone may write blog or list postings that never
use terms that might be viewed as politically incorrect.  Yet he or she
(I'll use s/he hereafter) still may exude disdain for other people and
their opinions and attributes.  It might be show up in the tone in
which s/he addresses others.  Or how s/he handles dialogue on a blog or
list.  Another person may occasionally use terms that might be
considered politically incorrect by some reader or other, yet still
come across as someone you'd want to hang around with and seek out for
professional advice.  To me, these issues are far more complex than
simply what terms one uses.

Bottom Line:  I certainly don't feel discouraged from reading Patrick's
postings and will continue to look out for them.

And to John and our other Canadian colleagues, happy Canada Day!

Maarja