Sender:
From:
"Nemchek, Lee R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:32:24 -0700
From: mailto:[log in to unmask] On Behalf Of Gebhardt, Allen
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:20 AM
To: Private Law Libraries LegalRec SIS
Subject: [pll-legalrec-sis] RE: Law firm records management

I'd like to add my voice in agreement with what has been said.  Law firms certainly are relatively unique, hydra-like entities.  Since my experience is nearly exclusively with law firms (excluding a stint with a stock exchange), I'll leave the question to others as to whether the move from corporate to legal requires a steeper learning curve than the reverse.   I certainly can imagine that the environments embody strong differences.

On the other hand, I also would like to encourage anyone interested in a career in legal RIM.  To my eye the field has become increasingly more professional and consequently more respected.  The evolving demands - driven by regulation, litigation and electronic advances -  have created a confluence of forces which continue to reshape the industry in ways that are both interesting and challenging.   We are in somewhat of a unique position within law firms to create new kinds of organizational alliances with our colleagues whose primary focus is the law as well as with those whose primary focus is data.  Our relationships are perforce being drawn into closer cooperation as the requirements to act consistently become more stringent.

What to my mind is most encouraging about the field for a newcomer is that one can make a substantial difference within an organization through critical thinking and team building skills.  Although it is imperative that one educate oneself about the best practices employed in other firms, the abilities both to think through the long-term implications of choices within the culture of a specific firm and to achieve solutions tailored to that environment are just as valuable.  In short, this isn't a career of cookie-cutter solutions.  There are opportunities to find creative approaches which not only affect one's own firm but can also influence vendors on the shaping of their tools.

I appreciate this and other forums through which ideas such as the ones expressed in this string can be expressed.  I think of these discussions as the embodiment of an open-source approach, through which the future is being cooperatively designed.

Allen

Allen Gebhardt
Records Manager - Palo Alto, San Francisco, Colorado
Cooley Godward LLP
Direct: 650-849-7030 ¨ Fax: 650-849-7400
Email: [log in to unmask]

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, Morrison & Foerster LLP informs you that, if any advice concerning one or more U.S. Federal tax issues is contained in this communication (including any attachments), such advice is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

For information about this legend, go to
http://www.mofo.com/Circular230.html

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged.  Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail @mofo.com, and delete the message.