Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 19:54:48 -0400
Sender:
From:
Chris Graves <[log in to unmask]>
I'd have to say open source is about as close to the spirit of librarianship
as it gets. However, open source technology can be tested to see if it is
"right"; open source textual content, on the other hand, tends to raise
eyebrows instead.

But I personally am a fan of wikipedia: while I would never cite it in a
scholarly work, I think it is an excellent *first step* on a search. It also
often contains valuable external links. And most of all it is current: with
over 1 million articles, Britannica lags far behind (100,000). Needless to
say the range of content alone makes it interesting.

In any case, history-buffs and the might want to check out the article, "Can
History be Open Source? Wikipedia and the Future of the Past."

http://chnm.gmu.edu/resources/essays/d/42

-Chris

ps-wikibooks will be the next big thing