Sender:
From:
Ghyslain Sabourin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:41:14 -0400
I would use Wikipedia to settle arguments over a drink, but not as part
of any presentation I would give nor report I would use.

Our friend and colleague Mr. Wilkins has described it as a "meritocracy"
during the most recent ARMA conference here in Toronto. I'd label it
more of an "endurocracy" or "bloody-mindedness-cracy". Whoever has the
longest wind, the most time to spend [waste]or the sharpest axe to
grind, will eventually win out. Such an environment does not foster
accuracy, facts, or truthfulness. It is a source of information where
the mob rules. And mobs, though they can shout down most opposition, are
not always right.

That said, the maintainers of Wikipedia have an elaborate set of rules
that anyone who wishes to edit or enter entries should follow
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents/Policies_and_guidelines].
They're quite good. I'm still working through it in order to adjust some
entries I found. Unfortunately, I'm just too busy to make any headway.

Ghyslain Sabourin
Director, Records Management
Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc.