Sender:
From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:21:17 -0400
Gus,

The approach to "enterprise wide document management" seems to have evolved
to what many AIIM vendors term "enterprise content management",
theoretically involving all types of content, not "just documents".  I'm not
sure that we've gone full circle, but thankfully, in recognition of the fact
that organizations have invested in more than one electronic repository
(large organizations, at least), many leading vendors have built a
capability to "connect" to those multiple repositories.  The theory is that
end-users throughout an organization can access information in any of those
repositories, and that organizations can preserve their investments in those
diverse repositories.

Some vendors have gone further, to focus more on business process
management, and have built connectors to various content "engines"....while
their software helps to automate business processes, and to allow
organizations to adapt to changes in transaction volumes on a real-time
basis.

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+