Sender:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:37:33 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 7/13/06, Laura Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I must be coming in late in the conversation.  My question is to Steve
> Petersen who wrote he has read the journal article in IMJ.  When we have
> discussions about automated repositories or even just document
> management systems we discuss access by other offices but I have never
> heard of the term "Federated."  Can someone send me the name of the
> article or link to it.  I don't want to be caught in the dark if the
> vendors use such terms and I would certainly like to know the options or
> pros and cons.

The use of the term "federated" has been becoming more commonplace is
discussions related to enterprise wide or cross platform capabilities,
especially those related to searching content.

From a FDRM discussion site:
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july02/martin/07martin.html

"Federated" in our project title refers to the shared administration of
access controls between the origin site and the resource provider: the
origin site is responsible for providing attributes about the user to the
resource provider.

From the Journal of Digital Information:
http://jodi.tamu.edu/Articles/v02/i04/Liu/

Federating repositories by harvesting heterogeneous collections with varying
degrees of metadata richness poses a number of challenging issues: (1) how
to address the lack of uniform control for various metadata fields in terms
of building a rich unified search interface, and (2) how easily new
collections and freshly harvested data in existing repositories can be
incorporated into the federation supporting a unified interface

And even IBM has embraced the use of the term, as far back as 2002:
http://snipurl.com/t6j4

In a large modern enterprise, information is almost inevitably distributed
among several database management systems. Despite considerable attention
from the research community, relatively few commercial systems have
attempted to address this issue. This article describes the technology that
enables clients of IBM's federated database engine to access and integrate
the data and specialized computational capabilities of a wide range of
relational and non­relational data sources

Larry
--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA