Sender:
From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:42:30 -0400
Version control enables us to manage multiple versions of the same document. In some environments retaining previous conversions is not desired as it can become confusing as to what is the latest or most up-to-date version of a document.  It also takes up space electronically and in a paper environment.  Also in some regulatory environments or for regulatory reasons, it may be a requirement to retain previous versions.  Previous versions may also be kept for historical reasons, such as records from famous or political people.

I would iterate that it is also appropriate to capture proper metadata and to also use standardized naming conventions.

Here is an example of how we use version control and naming conventions when naming a document.

johngervais_2006-07-19-09-38_Ver01_E_JG

johngervais - title of document
2006-07-19-09-38 - date and time document created
Ver01 - version of document
E - language of document is english
JG - author of document initials

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Guidelines Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Statistics and Information Management Directorate
Corporate Strategies and Business Development Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
320 Queen St., Place de Ville, Tower A, 6th Fl.,
Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1A 0L5
Tel: 1-613-946-0245
Facsimile: 1-613-941-9649
E-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]