Sender:
From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:52:23 -0400
I typically approach benchmarking for records tasks as John has, by
using a sample of resources to complete the task and finding the
average.  Not to beat a dead horse, but the answer really also depends
on several variables including level of experience/expertise of the
individuals, quality of material to be reviewed, format/access
requirements for material to be reviewed, level of accuracy/acceptable
margin for error required, etc.

And, remember to include downtime in your calculation for ramp up,
"necessity" breaks, interruptions, some amount of daydreaming (we're all
human!), small snags such as misclassification corrections, etc.  No
person can consistently produce like a robot, although I have witnessed
some try!

I echo John's sentiment about taking other's calculations, at least at
face value.  You should always confirm what you read with your own
experiences.

If you can identify each of the variables at play and time them, you can
come up with a formula on your own - the trick is in identifying all of
the variables correctly!  Another benefit for creating a custom
calculation is that it can be used as a standard to manage to - helps
keep staff accountable.

For example: prep + start + review + process step + completion step +
defined downtime = 1 document fully reviewed.  In use it would look
like: 20 seconds + 5 seconds + 70 seconds + 10 seconds + 3 seconds + 30
seconds = 2.3 minutes per item.

Perhaps this is overkill for your particular situation?  I did A LOT of
this when consulting where you've got to be able to estimate a job well
in order to avoid loosing money!  I hope it's helpful anyway.

G'night,
Julie
Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.