Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:29:05 -0500
From:
DuWayne Headrick <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
Roger

I am the RM (with no assistant) at an educational institution with over
10,000 employees and added 700 more this year because of four new
schools opening.  Growth will continue with at least three new schools
opening every year for the next six years.  Our Human Resources
department scans all applications/resumes and other corresponding
documents.  The campus principals and department directors can then
access all the applicantions to determine who they want to interview.
Once a person is hired HR maintains a folder of each active employee
which contains all personnel actions prepared during thier tenure of
employment.  Two years after the employee resigns, retires, is
terminated, etc., HR purges the employees file.  They remove those
documents that do not have a retention of 'permanent'.  The professional
staff have more 'permanent' documents than the classified/auxiliary
staff.  In most cases the purged documents have, by then , met or
exceeded their retention period, so they are shredded.  Actually I store
them at my storage center until I do my annual shredding.  The
'permanent' documents and documents determined by the Assistant
Superintendent of Human Resources to be essential are microfilmed.  Two
years after the records are microfilmed I then shred the paper copies
that were microfilmed.  If an employee should return we then make copies
of the microfilmed documents, folder is established and the cycle starts
over.

DuWayne Headrick
Records Management Officer
Northside ISD
210-397-8574

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Roger Hamperian and I am the
Senior
Records Manager for the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government in
Lexington, KY. I am relatively new to RM having made a career change
last
fall after working 4 years at the Univ. of Kentucky as a reformatting
librarian and archivist. I have been monitoring the listserv for about
5
months. Needless to say, I have a lot to learn about RM, but the
listserv
has been very helpful in giving me a jumpstart.

My first query to the listserv pertains to personnel records. I should
begin
by saying Lexington employs approx. 3,500 people and maintains its own
off-site storage facility for inactive records. Recently I was informed
by
Human Resources that they were beginning a scanning project to digitize
all
of their active personnel files. They want to send all of these active
files
to the Records Center after they have been scanned. To this point I
didn't
foresee any problems. Wrong! I have since learned that HR expects to be
able
to send additional documents to the Records Center after they are
scanned to
be added to the files already in storage. This seems unfeasible to me
given
the amount of documentation created by HR. Even if the files are boxed
so as
to allow room for future expansion, it seems inevitable that at some
point
they will reach their capacity and need to be reboxed. This would no
doubt
require a great deal of time and effort with the actual files as well
as
revising the inventory, not to mention the additional labor required
continually add documents to these files. I find these expectations
unrealistic given our current budget and staffing (1.5 FTE in addition
myself).

Has anyone out there faced a similar situation? Any suggestions on how
respond? Thanks.

Roger Hamperian

Records Management Analyst Sr.

L.F.U.C.G. Records Center and Archives