Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:38:37 -0700
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
It is possible that HR, being a human resource specialization and not a
RIM specialization, had not thought it through.

I love little baby ducks...
I hate paper.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/24 1:07 PM >>>
Roger Hamperian informs us that Lexington Fayette Urban County
Government's HR Department intends to scan active personnel files,
send
the files to the Records Center, and then expects the Records Center
maintain those files by inter-filing additional documents as they,
too,
are scanned.  In other words they want Roger to operate a file room
that
duplicates their electronic files.

Before we starting figuring out how to make this work I suggest that
we
need to know why does HR want to do this.  With a new imaging system I
certainly understand retaining the source documents for some period
until they are certain that the system works.  We've done the same
thing
in Harris County but no one has expected us to do more than receive
the
boxes of scanned documents and retain them for some period.  We've
even
retained some imaged documents for their entire retention period when
it
turned out that the images were not completely satisfactory.

The bottom line seems to be that HR does not want to realize the full
return on the public's investment.  (And I'm eager to read what Steve
Whitaker has to say about this.)

Paul R. Scott, CA, CRM
Records Management Officer
Harris County, TX