Sender:
From:
Charis Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:39:19 -0400
John Gervais wrote, "One should also look at why you want to measure a
particular function?  Is it for budgetary purposes or justification for
more money/resources?  Will what you measure provide a snapshot of
activity in your records office?  In other words don't measure for the
sake of saying you are measuring."

I'm seeking the estimates because we are required to provide an estimated
FOIA processing cost to the requestor.  I don't have the option of doing a
sampling, as the folks who will be doing the reviewing will not start a
review until the final pay agreement is in place.  So it's a bit of a
chicken and the egg problem.

What I ended up doing was taking a formula that is used by a law firm to
estimate discovery review costs.  I then plugged in our volume and salary
rate data and calculated it all up.  I then produced a "rough estimate"
that is based on examining just the four primary record sources.  We've
identified a potential 20+ other people who have worked on this project
over the course of 7 years.

Thanks to everyone for their help.  The estimate has been prepared and
will be sent out...needless to say it's a large $$$ amount, so the
requestor may decide not to pursue it.  Which is actually also one of the
other reasons folks wouldn't perform a "sample" review for this.  They
don't want to take time away from their regular duties for something that
might not even transpire.

Charis