Sender:
From:
Bob Nawrocki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:16:22 +0000
I worked in the Virginia Records Management program and I am 99.9% sure that
the Public Records Law did not mention any time period for permanent
records. I just checked the definitions section and there is no definition
of "permanent".

Permanent meant permanent.  Though such designations often need review since
one archivists' declaration of permanent often did not stand the test of
time 25 years later.

There are very few records that are permanent and actually if you do assign
a time period to permanent it is not permanent. My favorite retention period
related to records about the Yuca Mountain nuclear waste storage area. They
said there retention period was 10,000 years + 6 months. The 10K years being
the half life of plutoniom.

I am sure that Mark Walsh who is still at LVA can give us the final answer
about Virginia's definition of permanent.

Robert F. Nawrocki CRM
Innovate and Infuriate
My opinions are my own and not my employers.