Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:04:38 -0700
From:
Steve Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
 Robert,

I got this synopsis from a PDF put together by Julie Hayward Biggs that
would give CPRA classes to those of us that worked for municipal
government that needed to know. She also does work with the Municipal
Clerks Association. She's at Burke, Williams and Sorenson, LLP. She
would be a great person to query.

The CPRA, which has generated over 80 separate statutes and growing, the
disposition of local agency records is controlled by relatively few
statutes. (Find local and county statutes.)

Government code 34090, which applies to cities, can be broken down into
the following elements:

	(1)	The head of a city department;
	(2)	with the written approval of the legislative body and
city attorney;
	(3)	may destroy any city record;
	(4)	after the record is no longer required;
	(5)	provided that:

		(a)	the record is not less than 2 years old;
		(b)	the record is not required to be kept by some
other stature;
		(c)	the record is not the minutes, ordinances or
resolutions of the legislative body or of a city board or
commission, which records must be PERMANENTLY retained.

	Suffice to say that the brevity of section 34090 puts the onus
on city records custodians to fathom the
requirements of element (3) through (5).

When I searched for the word "permanent" in a summary put together the
Sate Attorney General, the word permanent came up only once and
pertained to an exemption not records. Also, the PRA is Government Code
6250-6276.48. You can easily see it at www.legalinfo.ca.gov. It's
divided up into 2 sections: 6250-6270 & 6275-6276.48.

I apologize for going on so long but, I didn't want to give only part of
the information.

<<<Does anyone out there in Listserv land know where I can find a US
state or federal citation defining a time span regarding a retention
period of "forever" or "permanent"?>>>

Steve Morgan
C.J. Segerstrom & Sons, Records Manager
(714) 438-3228 phone