Sender:
From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:48:10 -0400
Append means to add to the end of.  From a paper file standpoint -
"append" usually happens at the document level, as in "one appends the
list of plumbers to inspection results for 1234 (thus the word
"appendix" in documents), not at the folder, drawer, or box level.  In
electronic format - append usually means add at the end of a database,
as in "append the new data to database 1234."  I have not heard of
"appending" files to an electronic folder. I have heard of adding an
"appendix" to an electronic document, but I believe "append" in the
electronic world usually happens to a database of some type and not
electronic folders or server drives.

"Interfile" on the other hand can apply to both paper and electronic.
If one adds a document to a folder, or a folder to a drawer or box, one
is placing said document or folder in the correct place based on the
filing system.  The same can be true for electronic documents being
added to an organized electronic folder, or an electronic folder being
added to an organized file configuration on a particular drive (or
server).  It is simpler in the electronic world in that the system will
sort the files and folders electronically based on pre-set choices (i.e.
by file/folder name, by modified date, by author, etc.).  An EDMS should
sort by pre-configured file categories.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager