Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:50:20 -0700
From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
<snip>
So each individual working in public sector must check with their particular
state retention requirements in addition to the Federal requirement.
<snip>

That is part of the method and model for deciding upon retention policy:

administrative/operational (actual reference need)
fiscal, if any
legal, if any
regulatory, if any
historic, if any

The retention of any records series will be the longest of the above researched and evaluated retention factors.

I hate paper.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/15 12:28 PM >>>
Sorry Steve ..... besides the Fed's the states may have retention
requirements way beyond the 3 year requirement.   As I previously stated in
an earlier discussion the State of Washington has a retention requirement as
follows time cards/time sheets for Local Government Agencies in Washington
State

If used for retirement verification * 60 years

If NOT used for retirement verification * 3 years
See remarks

Time records subject to federal audit should be retained per federal
requirements.

So each individual working in public sector must check with their particular
state retention requirements in addition to the Federal requirement.

Bob Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting